What should a return tool do for you?
by Editorial Staff, on Mar 11, 2020 2:27:51 PM
Companies who sell products to their customers need to be prepared for product returns. No matter if you ship to businesses or consumers, returns can occur for different reasons:
- The customer has bought a products and doesn't like it
- The customer is using a product that has a defect
- The customer has stopped using the product and wants to dispose it
B2B, B2C, and D2C companies often tell us that they need a return tool.
What is a return tool?
Often,a return tool is considered to be a piece of software that is available as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS). With that in mind, what exactly is a return tool? We see there are 2 main options:
- The return tool allows customers to create and ship a return
- The return tool allows warehouse operators to receive a return
Portal for customer returns
In most cases companies are looking for option 1.
A tool that allows customers to create and ship a return. In most cases companies ask for a "Returns Portal" or an "RMA Portal". They need this portal to offer customers a "Returns Center" or "Return Tool".
There are many SaaS solutions that offer features like:
- Enter an order number
- Show the product that have been ordered
- Select the products that have been ordered
- Download a shipping label
The above features often are sufficient to set up a basic returns process. However, many of the existing tools have limitations. We believe the return tool should offer the right features and offer the flexibility to differentiate the returns process.
This is what a return tool should do:General:
- Support the option to design the portal in your brand identity
- Support returns from different countries
- Support returns for different return policies, such as returns, exchanges, and warranty
- Support the option to activate and de-activate return policies per country
- Integrate with any order management or commerce system, such as Magento, Shopify, Salesforce, Hybris, and all others
- Allow customers to select their preferred language
Create a return:
- Support the option to add products from multiple order to a return
- Support the option to select products from a product database
- Allow customers to add return reasons and service actions
- Allow customers to save a return and complete it later
- Support different authorization scenario's, such as manual and automated authorization
- Create and authorize a return for your customer
- Allow customers to add a specific ship-from address
- Support the option to ship to a designated returns warehouse location depending on the ship-from country
- Support the option of specific shipping options per ship-from country
- Allow customers to select from multiple shipping options
- Allow customers to search for a drop-off location
- Allow customers to see the specific shipping instructions
- Download the shipping label
- Download the packing list
- Download the shipping invoice
Track a return:
- Allow customers to select their preferences for email status notifications
- Allow customers to contact you
- Allow customers to track the status of a return
- Allow customers to see an overview of all returns